I heart TOP

I heart TOP

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Japan and I

Acknowledgements

A huge thank you to Prof Madya Dr Hazita Azman for nominated me and gave me a chance.

For her love, for the encouragement, advice, inspiration and support and for her good memory towards me who love Japan. Precisely.

Thanks so much.

Thank you to my parent and my family for financial support. And for believing in me that I will be alright.

For my faculty-Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities especially to the Dean, Thank you for approving the allowance or reward.

For my close friend Wawa for believe and encourage me to write the application essay.

For my other close buddy Shin Goon aka Mohd Hassanal Bolkiah - Thanks for your helping; sharing information about the ASEAN Region.

Love, kisses and gratitude to all the participants of Japan-ASEAN Student Conference for all the wonderful moments we had together.

A special thanks to all Group L for Love team members Lyn, Su Lai , Sunny, Mirah, Asni, Tuty, Bob, Nan, Aun and of course, Mashin, Miho & Takeshi for all your ideas, thought, humours that make me approach this conference with a smile. Thanks for that.

You guys Roxxxx

AND finally, a huge vat of thanks to Japanese Government for the expenses and these special thanks also goes to JICE as an official agent for this event. I would like to express my deepest appreciation to the Government and all the JICE PERSONNEL for the warm hospitality to us (10 delegations from ASEAN Region) and for the arrangement made for this important event. Thank You very very much.

x.o.x.o

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Finally the time is right to pen down my thoughts on my wonderful and unforgettable trip to Japan. OMG I can't believe it's been two months already since I touched down in Kuala Lumpur International Airport. But, let me start from the beginning, Ok?.

About four months ago, I submitted the application form with the essay writing for participating in Japan-ASEAN Student Conference to the ASEAN University Network (AUN). Since I was being selected based on my faculty; Social Science and Humanities which related to Socio Culture theme I need to write an essay which related to Socio Culture theme. There are three themes that have been proposed by the organiser which are Environment, Economics and Socio Culture and Politics. The students can choose the theme based on their major or minor in their studying. Honestly, to tell the truth I have never thought that I would be selected. It is because the essay about ASEAN (where I have little information about it) that I wrote; I don’t feel that it was a good essay writing. However, the technology that we have I mean the internet is in our fingertip; I just sit in front of notebook with internet connection and searching for ASEAN and write the essay based on the information that I have. After 4 or 5 weeks later I received an email from the AUN with congratulation greeting. I still remember I quickly sent ‘sms’ to Dr Hazita saying that ‘Dr, I think I got in’. Well, the use of the word ‘think’ was not appropriate because it shows/symbolizes that people did not confirm towards something. Probably yes I just can’t believe it. It was like in a nutshell. The day after I received the email, I went to the International Relation’s office to confirm about it and they told me that they just received the email by AUN saying that I was selected. Three of UKM students including me have been selected by the Japan International Cooperation Centre; both of them are from Environment theme.

There were lots of preparation that I need to prepare; had homework which I need to write/ submit four essays one week before the departure. As for your information, Socio-Culture and Politics theme has four sub themes which are:

Sub-theme 1: Internationalization of Education and Regional Identity in East Asia; (Group I)
Sub-theme 2: Historical Perspectives in East Asia and Future ASEAN-Japan Ties; (Group J)
Sub-theme 3: Rules-based ASEAN and East Asian Community of Shared Values and Norms; (Group K)
Sub-theme 4: Feasible Policies for a Regional Identity in East Asia. (Group L)

The participant of Socio-Culture and Politics should write an essay in 1000-1600 words for each sub theme. The organiser will divide the participant into the sub-theme based on the four essays that they wrote. I was selected to be in Sub-Theme 4 which I think the difficult one.

Another preparation was; make a passport. Since this was my first long haul trip and I have never went to abroad so I need to make a passport. But, thank God that we do not need to make our own Visa since the Travel Agency will do it for us. Can I say that we faced a problem when The Travel Agency taking thing for granted? Two other participants and me did confirmed with the agency whether do they need a picture for Visa with the white background colour instead of blue colour because as far as we know Japan is different from United States, United Kingdom and other countries where the picture for the Visa must be white background colour. Unfortunately, they said ‘No’. However, after three or four days later they called the International Relations office saying that they need a white background colour picture for Visa. Well, what should we say then; did the Travel Agency do not know about it? This should not happen, though. Very simple things like this because after all they are Travel Agency.

12 November 2009

The day has come. I told to myself ‘November 12; I’m going to Japan as the Malaysia delegation’. The delegation from Malaysia comprises of 11 participants from 3 different universities. Four of the participants are from Universiti Sains Malaysia; Rahimi, Vincent, Ash and Afif. Another four are from Universiti Malaya; Christy, Fiona, Gan and Rani and another three of course from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia; Puteri, Alia and me. All of us met at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) at 6.30PM. Our flight was at 11.00PM. It took 7 hours to arrive Japan.

All I can remember before flying was, my heart was beating so fast when I first stepped into the plane. After all, I'm finally getting into a long haul distance flight! Like Vince wrote in his note: To Japan of all places! It was never in my wildest dreams that I'll actually be heading to Japan. I am planning to go there someday with my closest buddies (who are similar with me; addicted and obsessed towards Japan) but not this soon. To go to the ‘land of the rising sun’ without paying anything OMG I am the luckiest person in the world. Besides, What a better way to venture into a foreign land with new Asian buddies?.

13 November 2009

Finally, after almost 7 hours in the plane; we landed on-time at Narita Airport by 7AM. We were received by JICE personnel upon arrival. (Did I mention that JICE stands for Japan International Cooperation Centre?) together with AUN (ASEAN University Network), they're the co-organizers for the conference. We have been asked from the organiser to wait for the delegation from Indonesia and Vietnam for one hour before heading to our hotel by bus (as it takes about 1 hour from Narita to Tokyo). Like Vince, I also had a flurry of thoughts rushing into my head as the Malaysian delegation (11 of us from 3 different universities; UM, USM and UKM of course) were on our way to our hotel. "What can I do to contribute to the conference?", "Am I good enough?", or "What should I do if my ideas and thoughts are not accepted?" I know. But, I still remember that Dr Hazita told me U should just approach a conference like this with an open mind and not relax sudah. and Dun forget to make friends!!! Thanks to that revelation, I did. And girl if only I knew the fun I had in store for me :) But i'M NOT A GIRL who love to get ahead of myself. After that, we managed to get to the Asakusa View Hotel which situated in Tokyo by 9.30AM. Checked in hotel and we were given 2 hours personal time (to unpack everything) before had our lunch at 11.30AM. Tokyo is not lively as I thought it was. After all, its morning and most of the people went to their work; probably. However, I did enjoy the scenery with several thoughts in my head; beautiful, clean, respect, salute and etc. Then, after had our lunch; we have the opening ceremony. The opening ceremony was started by the welcoming speech and the briefing about the program by the JICE personnel. After that, the ceremony was continued by the speech from Dr Nantana as the Head of ASEAN University Network. She stated in her speech how she felt really proud with the Japan-ASEAN Student Conference Participation when she read about the essay writing that has been submitted to the AUN. She really hoped that we can give the contribution during the conference by giving all of our heart into that and until the joint statement to the MOFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) during our last day in Japan.

1st day went on quite smoothly. During the ceremony we were introduced to the other delegates from the 10 ASEAN countries, and true enough, we got acquainted with each other in no time. I was divided into Group L which means into Sub-Theme 4: Feasible Policies for a Regional Identity in East Asia. There’s Lyn from Vietnam, Su Lai from Myanmar, Moniroth aka Sunny from Cambodia, Mirah from Indonesia, Asni from Brunei, Tuty from Singapore, Bob from The Philippines, Nan from Thailand, Aun from Laos, and of course, Mashin, Miho & Takeshi from Japan :) I remember speaking firstly to Takeshi though :) during the opening ceremony when He started talking to me by praising my camera. Against all odd, after all; being me, I had no hard time to be friend with new people. Finally, our 1st task as a group has been explaining by the JICE personnel – find our way to the Edo Museum in downtown Tokyo, and we have to go in our respective groups. Sounds easy, no? It turned out otherwise. Lol (Lots of Laugh). Like Vince wrote-------Hilarity ensued.

Now my group was led by my three esteemed Japanese counterparts – Miho, Takeshi and Mashin . At the very first junction of the hotel – WE WALKED and crossed the road. We were heading to the subway station. It was Asakusa subway station. Well, it took about 10 minutes from our hotel to the subway since we went on foot. (I tell you what; at night Tokyo is lively; I love that). We just kept walking on until we reached the subway, and behold, with the rest of the group!. After some laughs shared, bought the train ticket (Miho taught me how to use the machine ticket :D) ; we proceeded to wait for our train. All, a bunch of strangers, assembled together for a conference in Japan, and right smack in the middle of Tokyo – WE GOT SEPERATED from other group. Well, each group want to challenge themselves to find the Asakusa subway and Edo Museum of course. I had faith in my three esteemed Japanese members. After all, they are Japanese even it is only Mashin who is from Tokyo while Miho and Takeshi are from another part of Japan. The Tokyo map that we have; I think they can’t go wrong with their directions. And that faith foot of mine was repaid. :D. Finally, we found the Asakusa subway station. But, my three esteemed Japanese counterparts got confused with the line that we have to take whether Edo Line, Asakusa Line, Ginza Line, Oedo Line or Sobu Line?. I did not blame neither Miho, Mashin nor Takeshi for the confusion that we had because let’s just not look for the Japan subway system but for only Tokyo itself; it has several lines which means we need much time to understand it. That night was really tired; tired form walking and confusion. Oh girl you can just imagine the confusion that followed. Sometimes, for the strangers like us; we panicked for a while. Ok maybe not We. I panicked. But, I’ve enjoyed our task with a smile that people could never imagine that.

After a short confusion to choose the line; finally, on the subway we went, and it was rush hour! It was packed, but not as packed as I thought. Then, We reached the museum, only to find out that with a long road the museum is closed at 5pm! We got there about 15 minutes too late. Oh about the weather .. It’s FREEZING COLD OK! 9°degrees, And at 5pm, it was already nightfall! It’s as dark as 9pm back here in Malaysia. Huhu.

Then, again with the subway we were heading back to Asakusa subway station
and we decided to go visit old temple near Asakusa– wait for it -since Kobayashi told me about that when I told him that watashi Nihon e ikimasu (I'm going to Japan). He got excited and tell me about Asakusa. They sell lots of thing. I bought a bundle of chopsticks to my housemate. Well, I was still too stingy to part with my Yen. Lol.

After that, for dinner we went to Japanese TEMPURA Restaurant “AOI MARUSHIN”. It took about 10 minutes on foot from Asakusa View Hotel. Dinner was tempura! おいし(Oishi=delicious). ほんとう!(Hontou=Really). I love the ‘miso soup’. OMG, I used to watch it in the Japanese drama but now I had the chance to taste it. すごい(Sugoi=wonderful/Wow) ne. And I got to know all of Group L member’s better. Wow, most of them are so young but matured and knows everything. Sugoiiiiiiii ne?

Day 1 was pretty much like that la. And we got back to the hotel, bathed, retired to bed slightly late, but still okay la. Oh and did I mention Intan was my roomie (roomate)? She’s from Brunei. She’s just like me. Suka cuci mate...Hahhahhahah..... I enjoyed her company. Lol.


14 November 2009

Trip to MOFA! MOFA stands for Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It was the official launch ceremony and two keynote speeches. No offence, it wasn’t boring – but like Vince wrote it was just held too EARLY. Well maybe it’s just an excuse, Vince. Precisely, I can say that I am a morning person but the time between Japan and Malaysia is different. At 5PM it is already nightfall in Japan. Overall though (yes, I caught the end of their speeches), the two speeches did help me to formulate some of my ideas in the next few days.

The launch ceremony was started by the speech by Mr Hiroshi Inomata, Director General, Southwest Affairs Department,The Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The speech was more like a welcoming greeting on behalf of H.E.Dr. Yukio Hatoyama, The Prime Minister of Japan. However He explained to the participant based on the speech of the Prime Minister in his visiting to Singapore on November 15 2009. There are two key points that has been rising during the speech:

1) Asia and Japan

Today, there is no question about the importance of Asia. The world becoming increasingly multipolar. If we look at economic power against this backdrop, we see that the ASEAN Plus Six countries produced about 23 percent of the world’s Gross Domestic Product in 2008 while APEC economies accounted for more than 52 percent. These figures are likely to grow.

As you know quite well, in Asia, regional integration is making progress in the real economy. At the same time, it is an interesting fact that Asia is prospering through its openness to the rest of the world. We should be encouraged by the fact that the ASEAN countries, China, the Republic of Korea and others have begun to play a constructive role in the region and in the entire international community while working together to promote their economic development.

Besides, he explained how the important of the relationship between Japan and the United States which is United States play a role in ensuring the peace and prosperity of Asia including Japan. This is one of the greatest reasons that Japan continues to regard the Japan-U.S. alliance as the linchpin of Japanese foreign policy.

Japan is quite a unique country in Asia. Among Asian nations, Japan was the first to achieve modernization. It is endowed with excellent technology and a mature economy. Japanese society is also endowed with values to be proud of, such as diligence and teamwork.

2) Promoting the initiative for an East Asian community

The new government of Japan has declared that it attaches great importance to Asian diplomacy. Three main pillar of this policy is the initiative for an “East Asian community”. The Prime Minister of Japan H.E.Dr. Yukio Hatoyama has the concept behind his initiative for an East Asian community which is from the philosophy of “yu-ai”. He personally cherishes this “yu-ai” philosophy. “Yu-ai” is typically translated as “fraternity”. Within “yu-ai” people respect the freedom and human dignity of others just as they respect their own freedom and human dignity. In other words, “yu-ai” means not only independence of people but also their coexistence. How brilliant is that? OMG. I admire The Prime Minister Hatoyama.

As a conclusion of the speech, the Prime Minister of Japan views “the most important key to promote an East Asian community initiative” is the people. Japanese products have spread to other Asian countries and Japan’s imports from the rest of Asia have increased. Yet, greater trade volumes alone will not lead to mutual understanding. “Person-to-person contact” will be the only way to help us truly understand each other. It is also important to learn together about the technology and tools we will share as we move forward. This is how we can begin cooperation in a variety of fields.

Then, the ceremony was continued to the first keynote speech by Prof. Akihiko Tanaka from Tokyo University. In his speech he stated that:

In discussing the future of East Asian community building, it is necessary to recognize how recently the rapid regionalization has started in East Asia. The concept of East Asia itself is still in "flux”. Traditionally, “East Asia” has long been regarded as an area cantered on China, i.e. China, the Korean peninsula, Japan, and Vietnam.

Furthermore, in his speech he added that it was only in the 1990s that the usage of “East Asia” as an area consisting of both Northeast Asia and Southeast Asia started. In the 1950s and 1960s, under the shadow of the Cold War and various regional hot wars, no meaningful regions existed in what we now call “East Asia.” Instead of creating a region, countries in the eastern edge of the Eurasian continent were fighting each other or fighting civil wars. The Indochina peninsula was in constant military turmoil, and an “East Asia” comprising Northeast and Southeast Asia was impossible because of the big war zone between the north and the south.

Moreover, he was also talk about the discussion of “visions,” “ideals,” and “norms” for regional integration came very slowly. In his view, if regionalism is defined as an articulated idea of creating a region with specific goals in mind, East Asian regional integration may be characterized as regionalization without regionalism. The facts of regionalization preceded ideas and visions of regionalism. The first ASEAN+: summit of 1997 was planned as an ad hoc gathering without any “vision statements.” However, as political leaders gather together, it seems inevitable for them to attach some meaning to their gatherings.

I think all of the participants agreed with him since the emergence of regionalism thus seemed inevitable as the degree of regionalization proceeded to a certain degree. Therefore, in 1999, at the third ASEAN+3 meeting, the leaders issued a “Joint Statement on East Asian Cooperation” as the first official statement of their cooperative activities.

Besides, according to him President Kim Dae-Jung proposed to establish an East Asia Vision Group as an advisory panel to the ASEAN+3 summit, and this was tasked with presenting a report to the 2001 summit. The idealistic and universalistic tone of the Vision Group report was expressed very well by its first sentence: “We, the people of East Asia, aspire to create an East Asian community of peace, prosperity and progress based on the full development of all peoples in the region.” However, there are tensions in the East Asian discussion of regionalism between those emphasizing the universal values and those emphasizing specific local conditions. The report used concepts such as “progress,” “human security,” and “good governance,” but not “democracy” or “human rights.”

Next, he was also stated in his speech the challenges of community building in East Asia which I think it should be an important key points that we should consider. The first major challenge involves visions of regionalism and how to reconcile the tension between the principle of non-interference and the emphasis on universal human values. The current way to reconcile this tension seems to accept both principles and regard the entire process of regional integration as an evolutionary process of realizing universal values without making apparent attempts to interfere in other countries’ domestic affairs. He argue that by that Asian Region was just setting up norms of universal values as clearly as possible but not hastily pressuring those not willing to follow these norms seems the current formula for an “evolutionary strategy” of regional integration.

Obviously, this strategy does not resolve the problems that countries like Myanmar pose. In the end, this strategy cannot but depend on the hope that the process of regionalization eventually fosters the process of democratization in currently undemocratic countries.

Second, there is the big problem of political reconciliation among important countries and other political entities in the region. The current political tension between Japan and its Northeast Asian neighbours is a case in point. Although Prime Minister Koizumi (ex Prime Minister of Japan) asserts that Japan’s relations with China and South Korea are good enough, the current situation in which national leaders cannot get together for a frank discussion over various bilateral as well as multilateral issues is not conducive to constructive regional development. There are other political divisions in East Asia that hinder further regionalization.

He gave an example of North Korea is one and the Taiwan Strait another. Unless these two persisting political divisions are resolved, true regionalization in East Asia will not be complete. The third challenge of East Asian regionalism involves its boundaries and its external relations. If political divisions on the Korean Peninsula and over the Taiwan Strait are resolved, it seems natural to give proper places to North Korea and Taiwan in East Asian cooperation. The roles of Australia, New Zealand, and India can be rather controversial in the future discussion of East Asian regional integration.

However, to the extent that the current process of regional integration is a long-term process of evolution, this controversy may not need to be settled immediately. As in the past, the concept of “East Asia” may evolve as the process of regionalization further progresses. East Asia’s relations with North America and Europe are also important. In terms of political frameworks, these challenges should partly be translated into the management of Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) and the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) because the key members of East Asia are at the intersection of APEC and ASEM.

Besides, the management of relations with the United States could be more difficult and challenging for East Asians because in the past the United States has expressed strong opposition to East Asian groupings, such as the East Asia Economic Caucus (EAEC) and the Asian Monetary Fund (AMF), and because the United States has special strategic interests and roles in East Asia. So far, the American opposition to further regional integration in East Asia has not been as categorical as it was in the case of the EAEC or the Asian Monetary Fund (AMF).

He added in his speech that many American leaders now seem to feel that it is in the U.S. interest to embrace East Asian regionalism rather than oppose it. Few in East Asia argue for creating schemes to exclude the United States in substantive areas. As long as the fate of East Asian economies depends on good economic relations with the two large markets of North America and Europe, the East Asian Community that eventually emerges should be a community friendly to both North America and Europe.

The fourth and final challenge may be the most difficult task—that is the task of realizing concrete and substantive achievement in many functional areas. If functional cooperation only means holding meetings and conferences, it is easy. And if functional cooperation only means that the participants join activities on which they can easily agree, again it is easy. Further still, if functional cooperation means that countries contribute to the activities that do not require much cost, it is easy. But if functional cooperation is limited to these easy activities, it does not achieve much, let alone produce spill-over effects into other, more politically charged areas.

Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) and financial cooperation are the two most important areas of functional cooperation that now face East Asian countries. If East Asian countries can agree only on a “dirty FTA,” and if East Asian countries cannot agree on truly effective financial surveillance systems, strong impetus toward more substantive regional cooperation may be lost. East Asia may have to suffer another round of unexpected crises. In the late 1990s, APEC lost momentum partly because it did not produce concrete results.

He concluded in his speech with the current process of ASEAN+3 and the East Asia Summit which he thinks should not repeat the same mistakes of APEC. The ASEAN+3 Summit and the East Asia Summit last December were good gatherings. But to proceed further, leaders and diplomats should talk more on substance in preparation for future meetings rather than about such formalistic subjects as which countries should participate in the meetings.

The second keynote speech was given by Mr. Sayakane Sisouvong, Deputy Secretary General for ASEAN Political Community. I love this speech even I was so sleepy because Mr. Sayakane Sisouvong who is from Laos was so funny that woke the entire participant’s up. As he plays an important role to the ASEAN community He started his speech by saying “Ohayou-gozaimas, Hello, Soo Sdey, Sabaidee, Apa Khabar, Apa Kabar, Mingalaba, Kumusta, Sawasdee, Xin Chao” i.e how the 10 ASEAN member countries including Japan’s greeting.

Then, he continued his speech by saying that “I would like to reiterate to all of our youths and students here that ASEAN always attaches great importance to you as you are our most important resources. Young people are crucial assets for a country’s socio-economic development and also human capital for the future enhancement of the country’s competitive capacity. Investing in young people is indeed investing the future”.

Furthermore, the most important key points that he stated in his speech was by flashing us back towards the history of ASEAN region. Dating back on 8 August 1967, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) was established in Bangkok, by Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. Brunei Darussalam joined the Association on 8 January 1984. Vietnam became the seventh member of ASEAN on 28 July 1995. Lao PDR and Myanmar were admitted into ASEAN on 23 July 1997 and Cambodia on 30 April 1999.

As set out in Bangkok Declaration, the aims and purposes of ASEAN are 1) to accelerate the economic growth, social progress and cultural development in the region through joint endeavours and 2) to promote regional peace and stability abiding respect for justice and the rule of law. Furthermore, at the ninth ASEAN Summit in October 2003 in Bali, Indonesia, ASEAN Leaders have agreed to establish ASEAN Community and at the 12th ASEAN commitment in January 2007 in Cebu, the Philippines, the aforementioned commitment had been strongly affirmed to accelerate the establishment of an ASEAN Community by 2015. The ASEAN community comprises three pillars namely the ASEAN Political and Security Community, ASEAN Economic Community and ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community.

He explained the first pillar i.e. ASEAN Political and Security Community aims to ensure that the people and Member States of ASEAN live in peace with one another and with the world at large in a just, democratic and harmonious environment.

The second pillar i.e. ASEAN Economic Community aims to transform ASEAN into a stable, prosperous and highly competitive region with equitable economic development, and reduce poverty and socio-economic disparities. The realisation of the ASEAN Economic Security will 1) strengthen current economic cooperation initiatives in areas of trades in goods, trade in services, investment, and capital mobility; 2) facilitate movement of business persons, skill labour and talents and 3) strengthening the institutional mechanism of ASEAN, including the improvement if the existing ASEAN Dispute Settlement Mechanism (DSM) to ensure expeditiously and legally binding resolution of any economic dispute.

The third pillar i.e. aims to contribute to realising an ASEAN Community that is people-oriented and socially responsible with a view to achieving enduring solidarity and unity among the peoples and Member States of ASEAN. It seeks to forge a common identity and build a caring and sharing society which is inclusive and where the well-being, livelihood, and welfare of the peoples are enhanced. Besides, the Community also 1) encourage equitable and effective participation of women in all fields; 2) commit to improve education standard; 3) expand participation of ASEAN parliamentarians, private sector, and civil society and; 4) promote ASEAN identity building.

As a conclusion for his speech, he extended his heartfelt gratitude as our does to the Government and the people of Japan as well as to all who are involved for hosting and organising this wonderful and memorable event and to express my best wishes for the fruitful outcomes and success of the Programme. He also urge all youths here to play an active role and make substantive contribution to the Conference, as the achievement of the Conference is also your own achievement and your brilliant future.

The launch ceremony was ended by 12.00 PM. We i.e. Group K and L from Regional Identity Group went to Roppongi for lunch – Arab restaurant. AND right after lunch, we headed to the Tokyo railway station to go to Sendai! Aboard the Shinkansen I did (Shinkansen – Japan’s famous bullet-train, famous for its speed and comfort). It took about 2 hours (of which I spent one hour to enjoy the beautiful scenery and catching up with my sleep) and I’ve arrived in Sendai City! For a moment, Vince and I had chat about it; Sendai looks busier than Tokyo. Lol.

Then, we ride a bus and heading to Laforet Zao Resort Hotel and Spa. An hour bus ride later, which was already nightfall; by 6.20PM in Japan we’ve reached Zao, a resort and spa in the chilly mountains. Just imagine, on...right smack in the middle of the jungle and up on a hill, with a mountainous background – a resort and spa! Dinner was okay – I like the mackerel, soup and everything.....Muahhhhhhh

T.T
After the dinner, we have time for our self. Nana, Asni, Nisa and I was planning to tried out the onsen (Onsen = hot spring!) but we changed our mind since we found out that we need to clothes off and we need to walk about 50 meters before reaching the hot spring. Oh No!! By the way we loved the hotel room, and found out that those with a Japanese roomie, they got to try out the Japanese-styled bedroom – futons on the warm tatami floor :). Wow!

Since we changed our mind for the “onsen”, we decided to look around the hotel. I had chat with the Cambodia delegation which I think they are so friendly. I got to know them better and I got to know David, Penya, Ratha, Vy, Davy, Laty and Rith. We really enjoyed the scenery even it was already night and colder than Tokyo City. After a few hours, Intan and I went to bed~ slept like a kid with tired and smiling face. We just could not forget the ghost story that Bobby and Penya told us. It was so funny and not frightening at all. :-p

15 November 2009

After breakfast; Discussion begins! I’m back in my group,.Now my group L was assigned to look on Feasible Policies for Regional Identity in East Asia. Sounds intimidating? I thought the same as well. But, fortunately finally we’d all tackle that topic superbly. :D

As soon as we got into our discussion room at Zao, and aided by our talented, gorgeous facilitator, Dr. Ayame Suzuki who is a Research Fellow in National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, our discussion began in an instance! Of course, a discussion wouldn’t be complete with us trying to stay awake with an open mind and be an active participant. At first, the discussion was begin by the killing question from Dr Ayame which is “what is regional identity?”. Some of us including me answer the question with a confused feeling in our heart. I mean, we do not really have an idea what is regional identity that we want to build. I was not sure since when we talked about identity it is wild topic to discuss. I told to the group there are two ways to define the identity which are everyday defined and authority defined. However, by considering these two definitions, the first thing that the leaders need to do is to explain to the region what the regional identity that they want to build is. The group members agreed with me by saying that the leaders are not really people oriented. They talked about integration but did not explain to the all region. :s

I'm not going to write in detail because it's P&C

After a few hours discussion, we took a break and had our lunch. After the lunch we continued the discussion with packed everything to leave Zao and will move to Sendai City after the discussion. The second discussion in a small group was continued and all of the three main themes group 1) Environment (A, B, C, D), 2) Economics (E,F,G,H )and 3)Regional Identity( I, J,K,L ) must now focus on the right track where we need to discuss and fill in our areas of concern, actions needed i) by the government ii) by the youth and expected results.

Finally, we came up with an excellent Output Matrix.

After finished filling in the OM sheet at the late of the evening we moved to Sendai Miyagi Prefecture. We were staying at Sendai Excel Hotel Tokyu for three days. Did I mention that Sendai is a city with a population of one million, and is the political and economic centre of Japan’s Tohoku (Northeast) region?. Although Sendai is a large city, it is known throughout Japan as a modern city in harmony with nature. The city possesses beautiful scenery, such as the Hirose-Gawa River that runs through central Sendai and the lush zelkova trees that line its streets. On the other hand, greenery is especially abundant in the centre of the city, which has three-lined streets and parks. As a result, Sendai is called the ‘City of Trees’. Precisely, I love Sendai. All participants fall for the Sendai City.

Zao was exceptionally cold, windy and drizzly as well. The weather was cold, and a bit too cold for me. But I did enjoy it. In fact, as we were leaving Zao, I have a heavy sigh. After all, I don’t know when else I’ll be able to go back to Japan and enjoy that beautiful scenery once more. I mean seriously, like Vince said it’s autumn, dried leaves on the ground and on trees, mountainous background, sunlight, and a beautiful rainbow. How brilliant is that?

Sendai however was another awesome place altogether. And for group L for Love, our first night at Sendai Excel Tokyu Hotel was spent prepping for our presentation the next day –Preparing for Power Point and we decided that all of us will do the presentation. We all stayed up till like 2AM just to finish it. It was very funny though because since we need an extra times to prepare for the presentation; we need to move to our room because the hotel management allowed us to use the discussion room for about two hours; then after that you have to leave so that we decided to continue doing the preparation in Mashin’s room but since it was already late; and her roomie wants to sleep we moved to my room. And did I mention that Asni was my roomie for this time? So, it was no problem at all since we were in the same group. Gotta say though, everyone really put their effort in. AND Mashin came up with her baka (crazy) idea where she wants Bob to say L for Love during the presentation. Can you imagined how embarrassed for a guy to say thing like that. As we all know guys are always loved to act Cool. :-p. I love Mashin’s idea so do other female members. It was just Bob and Takeshi who denied it. Hahaha. Unsatisfaction. Nothing but praises for us -for being independent. Cheers :D I love Group L. L for LOVE.

16 November 2009

Presentation time! After our hard work , all of us went up to do the presentation. And for once, I had fun presenting it! Never had a problem presenting it, in fact after the presentation, there was no question from the audience and Associate Prof Dr Oba and Dr. Azmi (he’s a Senior Research Fellow with Asia-Europe Institute, UM and formerly of the ASEAN Secretariat) praised us for coming up with great ideas for the group and did not make any confusion to the audience. I think most of the Regional Identity Group did present well. And then, one of my most favourite parts of the day: LUNCH! Bento boxes :) I had a heavy meal, and I’m happy. The food was really delicious! Hontouni! Being me....I can finish all the food in the Bento...and I just got to know that Bob didn't like to eat egg......

Lol.

Next up, facilitation tour! We were brought to the site of Sendai castle, once owned by a Japanese warlord-Data Masamune. In 1600, Masamune started to build his castle in Sendai and implemented new plans regarding the layout and development of the city. There are many pieces of important cultural treasures in Sendai that are connected to Masamune for example Aoba Shrine enshrines Masamune and the interest towards Japan warrior class and ancient world commanders continues to grow especially among young women and Masamune is one of the most popular character. Besides, from the site of his castle, we saw the skyline of Sendai City. Boy, it was simply breathtaking! Took lots of pictures over there, and well, group L bonded as tightly as ever. And THEN we move on to the second place- Sendai mediatheque. Anyways, Sendai mediatheque was awesome! Imagine this, the architect (Toyo Ito) of the building is also responsible for creating Vivo City in Singapore. To those who’ve been there – it’s just unique! The mediatheque opened on Jozenjidori in 2001. It was built with glass surrounding it, and inside, it has 7 floors altogether, all with its own functions. A library, computer centre, a playpen, media center all-in-one building! . Gosh. The steel tubular lattice structure of mediatheque supported by a system of hollow tubes, has received many awards including “World Architecture Awards 2002 Best Building in East Asia”. Talk about compacting everything into a location. Japanese sure has their own way of making the place look cool and multi-functional at the same time. 1st world country. SUGOIIIIIIIII

Took a short walk back to our hotel, we found a vibrant city of Sendai-filled with lively shopping spots. One of the largest shopping districts in Sendai starts from Sendai Station and runs along Chuodori, Ichiban-cho and Jozenjidori Avenue. This area is sure to delight all who visit with its fashionable cafes and restaurants, shops and traditional shines establishments. I really love the Vlandome Ichibano because it is so beautiful at night.

Next, it was Friendship Party night! We were formally welcomed by the Sendai City mayor, and we were all clad in our costumes and formals. Shoko-one of the Japanese participant was simply stunning that nite – white kimono! And she’s a pro at wearing them in a short period of time.

For Malaysian delegation-Rahimi and Vincent was in his baju melayu. Rani with ‘saree’ , Alia and me was wearing ‘baju kurung’ while Putri and Christy in their ‘baju kebaya’. We were really glad to share our culture among the Asian Region. Had lotsa fun that night, and what made it better was Malaysian students (Aliya, Adli, Syafiq and Shazli) who studying in Sendai joined us as well! It’s always good to catch up with fellow Malaysians overseas, and being able to speak the same language is a happy thing! Took lots of pictures again, and there’s one where Vincent posed 1 Malaysia. And the most hilarious was we encouraged Vincent to pose like the late Tunku declaring independence! with the Malaysia’s flag. it was really cool. Hahahahaha. We had fun together.

:D
Hanging out with the Malaysian Students was next! Alia, Putri, Ash, Afif and me decided to follow the Malaysian students. They were really helpful and I am glad that I had a chance to ride a bicycle in the city of Sendai while on our way to the cheapest shop in Sendai. OMG. Well, being me I was still stingy to be apart with my yen. But, at the end I bought some chocolates and juice. :p. Thanks to them for telling me that ‘kit kat’ is not halal in Japan. I almost wanted to buy it.

Even though we had to wake up early, Intan and I took a chance to ‘online’. Read emails and catch up our Facebook.

:p

17 November 2009

Joint-statement drafting day! Slow process, lots of grammatical changes (Thanks Tuty for chairing the drafting session!) but in the end, we came to a desirable conclusion. The confirmation was a bore though because lots of participant want to give their opinion. Like Vince wrote..It's great but....it's just Unnecessary delays, and Ujwala from the K Group had to help clarify to the seemingly blur moderators about some of the ideas. Glad to note though, almost all of our suggestions made it to the joint-statement to the MOFA later :)

The day flew past really quickly, and before we realized it, it was actually our last night in Sendai already :( Sighs. On a happier note though, Lyn, Angela (Group K), Mashin and I went to Downtown Sendai) We had our supper. Starbucks. Did I mention before that all the Regional Identity Participants get together to prepare for the performance the next day? We concluded to sing Sukiyaki song (English version) and Doraemon. I’ll tell about it later.

*Sighs talking about this makes me miss you guys even more now


18 November 2009

Woke up late. Become inpucntual person... Looks sleepy but still active. I felt it was all worth it. I had fun. And I think the rest did as well. :) Ya'ta sugoiiiiiiiii

After breakfast, it was finally time to leave Sendai. Another heavy sigh as we approach the train station. Like Vince wrote...The memories of this place shall always be with me, and it will be with me always for a very very long time. With a heavy heart, I boarded the Shinkansen back to Tokyo once more. Along the way, we saw Zao. I felt really sad that we had to leave, but I guess like Vince said that’s how you usually feel when you have to leave a place that meant so much to you these past few days.

For this time, Intan and I did not sleep at all while the rest did. I spent my time taking ‘paparazzi ’ photos. Hahaha. Mashin and Taka (one of the Japanese participant from Group K) were busy preparing for the Doraemon’s mask for the performance this evening. In the shinkansen, Mashin gave to all the Group L members a postcard. OMG. I was so sad that time; reading the postcard because she wrote it like she knew me well. Talking about she will wait for me to come to Japan again to watch KAT-TUN’s concert. OMG. Thanks sexy!

*KAT-TUN is one of the Japanese popular boy bands in Japan that I adore much*

I would like to take this opportunity to give a big Thank you to Vince and Taka san for helping me out. Well being me I always have lots of thing to bring..So, sometimes Vince helped me to carry it..Well, I remember first time speaking with Taka san where he labelled me as Reporter then Photographer and on the last day we were in Sendai He called me paparazzi since I tool many paparazzi photos...Opppps...Sorry guys but Thanks for all the great pictures.

After one and half hour we were arrived Tokyo once again. Took the bus to have our lunch to the Garden Beer Restaurant (No worries of the beer; we actually had lunch in Bento Box from the Tokyu Hotel). I was eating slowly though this time around. At a much slower pace. I guess I was getting ready. Getting ready to say my goodbyes. But before I do that, we have one last performance to go. One last performance together with all Regional Identity Group And what a splendid performance it was. On our way to the MOFA, we sang the two songs as a preparation.

Next was presentation at MOFA again. It was actually a presentation for our Joint Statement. Rahimi was chosen to represent his group to present their suggestions. Damn proud of you bro lol :D Oh, and this was one event that wake all the participant’s up. Finally, we have done with our task. We have the Joint Statement where will be propose during the next ASEAN Summit by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Wow!

Farewell Party was next and for the certificate session given. Ok the environmental group sang “Heal The World.”

Next, whole group of Politics / Economy were up performing a song called “We Are Unity”, supposedly the song for the SEA Games in Laos. Beautiful lyrics, perfect song

Lastly, but certainly not any lesser, our Regional Identity group with our version of Sukiyaki. Many thought it was the end when we finished our song. Oh well, backstage, Taka and Risa was preparing both Rezwan and Vincent for... THE DORAEMON SONG! The costumes from last night – it was for the both of them. It caught everyone else by surprise, including the visiting dignitaries and VIPs, and they ended up singing to our song as well! Nevertheless, the whole group was cheering us on, and both Rezwan and Vincent had so much fun dancing around on stage as a mascot. Of course, it took Vincent’s bestfriend Rahimi by surprise, and he laughed unconsciously but no matter, as long as we ended it with a bang, nothing else matters. And indeed we did :)

However, for Group L members- I mean for the female members-We were crying like we will never meet again when we hugs each other after the MC announced that ‘you can say goodbye to your Japanese friends since they will not going back to the hotel again’. We knew it but Can you imagined that?. I’m sure that Bob and Takeshi were so tired to console us. I’ve never cried like that for ages. OMG. It was so sad. We did not want to separate and leave the farewell conference room. Taka san did console me to not cry....I tried to look cool but I just can't. I got hundred hugs from the strangers which is now become my friends....at the night.

Thanks Risa aka Mashin, and thanks Taka, for your hard work preparing all those things.

Later that night, Tuty, Aun and I spent a little more time with Mashin, Miho, Takeshi before they had to leave. It was indeed a very sad moment for all of us. Guess how did group L spent our last night in Tokyo? Purikura and KARAOKE!!! Ok I didn’t know it was called purikura (taking pictures using the machine) and while all of us tried to not look cute in it, but can’t help it. Bob came to join us. Finally, In Japan, the birth land of purikura. Damn I’m proud of it :) At the Karaoke the songs we sung were just the best – classics, Hollywood songs, current favourites and of course, one of the KAT-TUN songs- Real Face!. Miho and I sang this song together. And then I sang one song to dedicate to them “When You’re Gone by Avril Lavigne”. *Everyone cried again* Hahahaa. I should not sing the heartbreaker song. Baka! To sum it all off – best karaoke session because it was in Japan and Group L! :D we were still emotional, and yet we continued crying during the karaoke session. Like Vince wrote it..watshi mo... felt so reluctant to leave,empty. We were all so closely knit together. Dakara Deep down inside, I kept telling myself – this is not goodbye. And by making a silent promise to myself – I know I’ll see them again someday .

:D
19 November 2009

All prepped up, ready to leave. After our teary-eyed goodbyes, I guess I had to prepare myself. Like Vincent, Re-orientate myself, that I’m leaving Japan already. And heading back home. Felt like a week-long dream to be in the land of the rising sun, but I had to snap myself out of the dream. It’s time to say goodbye. In the bus we ride to Narita Airport....Yuhei san and his friend run for us and it made me cried like hell..I guess others also did...Malaysia Delegation...So sad thoughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....I can't help myself.....I miss home but at the same time I dun feel like I wanna go back because I dun wanna be apart from them....

7 hours later, I’m back in KLIA. Said goodbye to the rest of the delegation, and for the 4 of us who from USM waited a while longer for their connecting flight to Penang.

;D Lastly, home sweet home! It’s good to be home once more, but my fondest memories will always be in Japan, like Vincent wrote it: the one fabulous week spent with strangers who turned out to be and could be friends for life as I end this journal of mine. 22 hours a day sure does bond you and everyone else together real fast. And I’m glad I was a part of this conference. Every participant did. To Regional Identity members, and Group L especially, ありがとございました (Arigato’ Gozaimashta’= TQ)! だいすきみんあ(DAISUKI MINNA!) (I love u all)

p.s. This write-up is for all of you. Thanks for the memories! See you all again, hopefully soon :)

Love-Huda aka Mrs Kazuya Kamenashi

1 comment:

aLs said...

i miss japan..and i miss all of you too!! ;) once in a lifetime opportunity rite? geez..